Southern Maryland Counties Announce Winter Warming Centers
This week’s wind chills are a reminder that winter is on its way. The season doesn’t officially start until Wednesday, Dec. 21, but the three Southern Maryland counties have already announced warming centers for anyone who needs somewhere to go on frigid days – including today and tomorrow.
- Harriet E. Brown Community Center: 901 Dares Beach Road, Prince Frederick. Sunday –Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-10 p.m., and Friday- Saturday 8:30 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Northeast Community Center: 4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave., Chesapeake Beach. Sunday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-10 p.m., and Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Hope Community Center: 100 Pushaw Station Road, Sunderland. Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m.-10 p.m. and Sunday, 12:30-6 p.m.
- Southern Community Center: 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Monday-Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; closed Sunday
- Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center: 130 Auto Drive, Prince Frederick. Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-9 p.m., Saturday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. and Sunday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Calvert Library locations: Monday-Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; closed Sundays
- Capital Clubhouse: 3033 Waldorf Market Place, Waldorf. Open 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. daily
- Charles County Public Library, all branches: Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Friday: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.; Saturday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- La Plata Branch, 2 Garrett Avenue., La Plata
- D. Brown Memorial Branch, 50 Village Street., Waldorf
- Potomac Branch, 3225 Ruth B. Swan Drive, Indian Head
- Waldorf West, 10405 O’Donnell Place, Waldorf
- Department of Community Services: 8190 Port Tobacco Road, Port Tobacco. Lobby hours: Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Nanjemoy Community Center: 4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy. Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Richard R. Clark Senior Center: 1210 Charles Street, La Plata. Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
ST. MARY’S COUNTY
- Garvey Senior Activity Center: 41780 Baldridge Street, Leonardtown. 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Loffler Senior Activity Center: 21905 Chancellor’s Run Road, Great Mills. 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Northern Senior Activity Center: 29655 Charlotte Hall Road, Charlotte Hall. 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Charlotte Hall Library: 37600 New Market Road, Charlotte Hall. 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. – Thursday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Friday
- Leonardtown Library: 23250 Hollywood Road, Leonardtown. 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. – Thursday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Friday
- Lexington Park Library: 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. – Thursday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Friday
- Have the necessary supplies, including ice melt, sand for traction, and shovels
- Stock up on heating fuel and wood, if that is how your home is heated.
- Make sure you have enough warm clothing and blankets
- Have a family communication plan in case you’re not together when the storm hits
- Sign up for local and federal alerts
- Bring your pets inside and secure livestock
- Stay inside! If you must travel, let someone know where you’re going and what route you’re taking.
- Walk carefully when you go outside
- Avoid overexertion when you shovel and clear snow
- Stay dry and change your clothes when they get wet
- Know the signs of frostbite and hypothermia
- Make sure kerosene heaters are properly ventilated
- Know where your warming shelters are and go if your power has been out for more than a few hours or if you don’t have enough supplies
For a complete list of winter weather tips, visit https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather.
Waldorf MD Homes for Sale and Real Estate Services in Southern Maryland. You now have a search engine to help you with your Southern Maryland home search! And I’m ready to provide you with a custom home valuation if you’re considering selling your home. Let’s connect to discuss how I can help you. Contact Kimberly Bean at 301-440-1309