There’s no doubt about it: Summers in Southern Maryland are hot! Heat warnings and advisories are common in recent forecasts, but heatwaves and high humidity aren’t just uncomfortable; they can be dangerous, too.
- Pay attention to weather forecasts so you know what’s coming.
- Be aware of the temperature and the heat index, which is what the temperature feels like because of humidity.
- Have a plan for staying cool and safe no matter where you’ll be, whether it’s at home, school, work, or elsewhere.
- Plan to check in on neighbors who are elderly, sick, or very young.
- Know where you can go if you have no electricity or the power goes out.
- Have a plan for your animals and their need for water and shade.
During a heatwave or heat warning day, the Red Cross recommends:
- Limiting strenuous activity and exercise outside during the hottest part of the day
- Staying hydrated
- Taking frequent breaks if you must work outside
- Wearing loose-fitting, light-colored, lightweight clothing
- Staying on top of weather updates
- Never leaving children or pets in a closed car
In Southern Maryland, many community centers and other locations are available as cooling centers during heatwaves and other hot weather.
There are several places in Calvert County where residents can escape the heat, including:
- Harriet E. Brown Community Center, 901 Dares Beach Road, Prince Frederick
- Northeast Community Center, 4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave., Chesapeake Beach
- Hope Community Center, 104 Pushaw Station Road, Sunderland
- Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby
- Prince Frederick Branch of the Calvert Public Library, 850 Costley Way, Prince Frederick
- Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center, 1035 Prince Frederick Blvd., Prince Frederick
There are also pools and beaches in Calvert County. See the list here.
When the National Weather Service issues a heat advisory, excessive heat watch, excessive heat warning, or an air quality alert of orange or greater, these Charles County buildings are open as cooling centers during regular business hours:
- Capital Clubhouse, 3033 Waldorf Market Place, Waldorf
- Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 Charles St., La Plata
- Nanjemoy Community Center, 4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy
- All branches of the Charles County Public Library
There are also several indoor and outdoor pools in Charles County. See the list here.
St. Mary’s County
In St. Mary’s County, these locations are available as cooling centers:
- Garvey Senior Activity Center, 41780 Baldridge St., Leonardtown
- Northern Senior Activity Center, 29655 Charlotte Hall Road, Charlotte Hall
- Loffler Senior Activity Center, 21905 Chancellor’s Run Road, Great Mills
- All branches of the St. Mary’s County Public Library
Beaches and pools can also keep you cool in St. Mary’s County. See the list here.
American Red Cross Heat Wave Safety: http://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/heat-wave-safety
Weather Bug Heat Wave Safety: https://www.weatherbug.com/news/Heat-Wave-Safety-Tips
List of Beaches and Pools in Southern Maryland: https://kimberlybean.com/real-estate-blog/looking-swim-summer-cool-off-southern-maryland-beaches-pools/
Waldorf MD Homes for Sale and Real Estate Services in Southern Maryland. You now have a search engine to help you with your Southern Maryland home search! And I’m ready to provide you with a custom home valuation if you’re considering selling your home. Let’s connect to discuss how I can help you. Contact Kimberly Bean at 301-440-1309