The long-range forecast for Southern Maryland doesn’t look a lot like winter, but let’s not fool ourselves: Cold weather is coming. And when the temperatures dip into the dangerous zone, you’ll find warming centers throughout Southern Maryland. These locations offer daytime respite from the cold; find hours and details on county websites the next time extreme cold hits us.
Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center: 130 Auto Drive, Prince Frederick.
Harriet E. Brown Community Center: 901 Dares Beach Road, Prince Frederick.
Mt. Hope Community Center: 100 Pushaw Station Road, Sunderland.
Northeast Community Center: 4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave., Chesapeake Beach.
Southern Community Center: 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby.
Calvert Library Public Library, all branches.
For hours and more information, visit http://www.co.cal.md.us.
Capital Clubhouse: 3033 Waldorf Market Place, Waldorf.
Charles County Public Library, all branches.
Nanjemoy Community Center: 4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy.
Richard R. Clark Senior Center: 1210 Charles Street, La Plata.
For hours and more information, visit https://www.charlescountymd.gov/.
ST. MARY’S COUNTY
St. Mary’s County Public Libraries, all branches.
Garvey Senior Activity Center: 41780 Baldridge Street, Leonardtown.
Loffler Senior Activity Center: 21905 Chancellor’s Run Road, Great Mills.
Northern Senior Activity Center: 29655 Charlotte Hall Road, Charlotte Hall.
For hours and more information, visit http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/.
Stay in the Know
All three counties operate active Facebook pages. Check there for current alerts and information:
Charles County: https://www.facebook.com/CharlesCounty/
St. Mary’s County: https://www.facebook.com/StMarysCountyGovernment/
Be Ready for Winter Weather
- Have the necessary supplies, including ice melt, sand for traction, and shovels
- Stock up on heating fuel and wood, if that is how your home is heated.
- Make sure you have enough warm clothing and blankets
- Have a family communication plan in case you’re not together when the storm hits
- Sign up for local and federal alerts
- Bring your pets inside and secure livestock
- Stay inside! If you must travel, let someone know where you’re going and what route you’re taking.
- Walk carefully when you go outside
- Avoid overexertion when you shovel and clear snow
- Stay dry and change your clothes when they get wet
- Know the signs of frostbite and hypothermia
- Make sure kerosene heaters are properly ventilated
- Know where your warming shelters are and go if
your power has been out for more than a few hours or if you don’t have enough supplies
For a complete list of winter weather tips, visit https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather.
Waldorf MD Homes for Sale and Real Estate Services in Southern Maryland. You now have a search engine to help you with your Southern Maryland home search! And I’m ready to provide you with a custom home valuation if you’re considering selling your home. Let’s connect to discuss how I can help you. Contact Kimberly Bean at 301-440-1309