We don’t need to tell you that it is capital-C COLD this winter. And with a “bomb cyclone” headed toward the East Coast this weekend, Southern Maryland is expecting a dusting to a few inches of snow, depending on where you live.
The chilly temperatures aren’t going away any time soon, so the three Southern Maryland counties have announced warming centers that will be open for anyone needing to escape freezing temperatures.
Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center: 130 Auto Drive, Prince Frederick. Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-9 p.m.; Friday-Sunday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Harriet E. Brown Community Center: 901 Dares Beach Road, Prince Frederick. Sunday–Thursday, 9 a.m.-9:30 p.m.; and Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-10:30 p.m.
Mt. Hope Community Center: 100 Pushaw Station Road, Sunderland. Monday-Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m.
Northeast Community Center: 4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave., Chesapeake Beach. Sunday–Thursday, 9 a.m.-9:30 p.m.; and Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-10:30 p.m.
Southern Community Center: 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Monday-Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
Calvert Library locations: Monday-Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Capital Clubhouse: 3033 Waldorf Market Place, Waldorf. Open 9 a.m.–9 p.m. daily
Charles County Public Library, all branches: Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.–8 p.m.; Friday, 1 p.m.–5 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Nanjemoy Community Center: 4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy. Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Richard R. Clark Senior Center: 1210 Charles Street, La Plata. Monday – Friday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
ST. MARY’S COUNTY
Charlotte Hall Library: 37600 New Market Road, Charlotte Hall. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.–8 p.m; Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Garvey Senior Activity Center: 41780 Baldridge Street, Leonardtown. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Leonardtown Library: 23250 Hollywood Road, Leonardtown. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.–8 p.m; Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Lexington Park Library: 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.–8 p.m; Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.; Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m.
Loffler Senior Activity Center: 21905 Chancellor’s Run Road, Great Mills. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Stay In the Know
All three counties operate active Facebook pages. Check there for current alerts and information:
Charles County: https://www.facebook.com/CharlesCounty/
St. Mary’s County: https://www.facebook.com/StMarysCountyGovernment/
Be Ready for Winter Weather
- Have the necessary supplies, including ice melt, sand for traction, and shovels
- Stock up on heating fuel and wood, if that is how your home is heated.
- Make sure you have enough warm clothing and blankets
- Have a family communication plan in case you’re not together when the storm hits
- Sign up for local and federal alerts
- Bring your pets inside and secure livestock
- Stay inside! If you must travel, let someone know where you’re going and what route you’re taking.
- Walk carefully when you go outside
- Avoid overexertion when you shovel and clear snow
- Stay dry and change your clothes when they get wet
- Know the signs of frostbite and hypothermia
- Make sure kerosene heaters are properly ventilated
- Know where your warming shelters are and go if your power has been out for more than a few hours or if you don’t have enough supplies
For a complete list of winter weather tips, visit https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather.
Mechanicsville MD Homes for Sale and Real Estate Services in Southern Maryland. You now have a search engine to help you with your Southern Maryland home search! And I’m ready to provide you with a custom home valuation if you’re considering selling your home. Let’s connect to discuss how I can help you. Contact Kimberly Bean at 301-440-1309