The average nationwide cost to replace a roof is $7,269, according to homeadvisor.com, but costs can vary by region, size of the roof, and other factors. Replacing a roof is a huge, expensive job, so it’s natural that you want to hire the right Southern Maryland roofer and get your money’s worth.
So, how do you find just the right contractor to do the work on your Southern Maryland home? Rather than choosing randomly from a list of roofers online, check out these questions that you should ask.
Common roofing scams
Roof repair and replacement are expensive jobs, so it is only natural that the industry attracts its fair share of scammers. Part of your search for a roofer should include being aware of some of the more common scams and how to avoid becoming a victim.
Alarm bells should ring if the roofer asks for a down payment before starting the project. “The company will say it needs the down payment to buy materials or to pay for labor,” cautions Mike LaFollette at Angie’s List. He goes on to say that the scammer will convince the homeowner to sign over the insurance check. Once the scammer has that check in hand, he or she never returns. Avoid becoming a victim by not paying a down payment until the materials are delivered to your home.
You should also be suspicious of the roofing door-to-door salesperson. Sure, there are plenty of reputable salespeople who go door-to-door to drum up business, but there are also a lot of bad apples in the bunch.
These folks typically show up in neighborhoods after a storm, which is how they earned their nickname: Storm Chasers. They’ll use high-pressure tactics (and quote ridiculously low prices) to get the homeowner to sign a contract. The work is typically shoddy, and the homeowner has no recourse because the roofer is chasing storms in another state by the time any problems come to light.
Thoroughly vet any company you’re considering using. Ask for the company’s physical address and then visit the business in person. Avoid any roofing company that only uses a post office box as an address.
How to find a reputable roofing contractor
If you have a general contractor among your family or circle of friends, neighbors, and colleagues, he or she may be able to refer you to a good roofer.
If that fails, check the National Roofing Contractors Association website for members in Southern Maryland. When you have several names, contact each roofer and request a bid. Here are some questions you should ask:
- Ask each interviewee for a copy of his or her business license and tax identification number. This will help assure that the roofer is a legitimate business person.
- Ask to see a copy of the company or roofer’s workers’ compensation and liability insurance coverage.
- Ask for the names and phone numbers of past clients and then call them.
- Get the proposal in writing and ensure that descriptions of all work to be performed are complete and include the date the job will begin and end. Make sure that payment details are clearly spelled out.
- Check the Better Business Bureau website to see if any complaints have been filed against the roofer.
- Ask for a copy of the company’s warranty and read it carefully or have your attorney read it.
- An extremely low price should set off alarm bells.
Waldorf MD Homes for Sale and Real Estate Services in Southern Maryland. You now have a search engine to help you with your Southern Maryland home search! And I’m ready to provide you with a custom home valuation if you’re considering selling your home. Let’s connect to discuss how I can help you. Contact Kimberly Bean at 301-440-1309
Powered by WPeMatico