Imagine sending your child off to school on a cold winter morning with just a sweatshirt for warmth.
Or heading out to work yourself in a thin jacket that does little to protect you from winter’s harsh winds.
For many families in Southern Maryland, this is a reality each winter. Good winter coats are expensive, and when money is tight, it needs to be spent on other essentials.
That’s why Coats of Love was started more than 10 years ago by Anna Jones, a REALTOR© with EXIT Landmark Realty. She had a desire to help local families in need and began organizing this annual drive to involve the community in serving others.
And the community has gotten involved! This year, nine locations in Charles and Calvert counties are collecting for Coats of Love. (See list below.) We’re excited that so many businesses have stepped up to take part in this cause.
What kinds of coats are being collected? All sizes, though there is a special need for coats in children’s sizes.
Coats should be new or in gently used condition. Follow these guidelines for preparing your used coat for donation:
- Check for rips and stains on the outside
- Check the inner liner for tears
- Make sure the zipper works property
- Make sure buttons and snaps are property attached
- Check for odors
- Make sure the pockets are empty
If necessary, bring the coat to a dry cleaner for a thorough cleaning. A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself whether you would wear the coat still (or allow your children to). If the answer is no, it’s not in good enough condition to donate.
Coats are being collected now through Friday, Nov. 10.
Start checking those closets, and bring your coat donation to these locations:
- C & F Mortgage Corporation, 3720 Leonardtown Road, Suite 201, Waldorf
- EXIT Landmark Realty, 4550 Crain Highway, White Plains
- Galleria Salon & Spa, 161 St. Patricks Dr., Waldorf
- Red Oak Bistro, 6390 Crain Highway, La Plata
- RE/MAX One, 107 Centennial St., Suite 300, La Plata
- Waterstone Mortgage Corporation, 12080 Old Line Centre, Suite 100, Waldorf
- World Gym, 6615 Crain Highway, La Plata, Maryland
- RE/MAX One, 132 Main St., Prince Frederick
- Southern Trust Mortgage, 90 Holiday Dr., Solomons
White Plains MD Homes for Sale and Real Estate Services in Southern Maryland. You now have a search engine to help you with your Southern Maryland home search! And I’m ready to provide you with a custom home valuation if you’re considering selling your home. Let’s connect to discuss how I can help you. Contact Kimberly Bean at 301-440-1309